Here is a few shots of a project that’s been occupying much of my time of late. The installation is set to finish this week. This is our second annual “Grade 6 Legacy Project” where every Grade 6 student produces a scaled down figure of themselves in a pose of their choice and designs it however they feel. I love how they get so involved in the project and how attached they seem to feel to their piece. The local high school shop class cuts out the pieces for us so it’s a nice collaboration between schools. It’s a great piece of public/community art.
I felt a tulip coming on so dropped my other pieces and got started. Just in the beginning stage but feeling motivated to bring this one along. I now have I think 7 paintings in progress which is about perfect for me.
This work in progress started as a bowl of tulips and morphed into a beach inspired figurative piece. I have a few of these in various states of completion. I’m liking painting these and have a bit of a series planned.
It’s been a real mixture this week – staining backsides of figure cutouts for Waverley Memorial Elementary School. Picture of backsides attached – will unveil the fronts next week. Worked at the school’s Spring Fair and sold “Cock Opera” as a silent auction item. The next owner loves it. Touched up “Layered Pear” and really love it now. Started a new beach inspired painting and squeezed in time for a coffee “Polka Dot Mug”.
A couple of beach themed pieces I started today based on some photos of my daughter at the beach with a couple of friends from a couple of years ago. Liking the compositions so far. May do a couple of versions of the 3 girls – I’m liking the abstract quality of it at this stage.
Some more juicy tulips in acrylic on paper. Completed day 2 of painting with my 2 grade 6 classes. I have a bit of work to prepare the backs of the pieces and install them. Hoping to share some pics by the end of the weekend.
A real benefit of working on paper is cropping it sometimes makes a much more impactful painting. Here’s a few I cropped yesterday to get ready for framing. Spending the next 2 days painting with 55 grade sixers – wish me luck!
Who doesn’t love tulips? Starting my day with this study to work out the palette and tulip anatomy for a piece I want to do. This one is on 18 x 24 in. newsprint. The image is from my mind. I wanted luscious colour and loose energetic brushwork. I used a couple of acrylic mediums to build up texture and I like the effect.
Sometimes I think all I do is tweak things. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. After living with this piece for a while I just wasn’t loving it. I decided the beach needed to be a whole lot warmer, I needed to paste some light on at the water’s edge and add some very subtle shadows under the tiki umbrellas. I now have my favourite colour mix for sand (naples yellow. burnt umber, burnt sienna, raw sienna, lemon yellow and white). Now I do love it – whew.
I decided I needed to get rid of the grout lines in the tile floor. I felt like it was getting too busy and I thought it was more important to show light washing over the floor so I made that change. May still need a minor tweak but am liking this version better.
These 2 pieces will be on display at the Winding River Art Gallery from 15 May – 14 June as part of the Ravenous Rhubarb show. My first time painting rhubarb. I came up with the most wonderful rhubarb colour so now I want to use it everywhere.
Here’s a sample of a framed floral – “Flowers in a Red Vase”. This piece is going in the show this weekend. Also – I mixed up a delicious gold colour today and updated a floral I did yesterday “Funky Ranunculus”. It will be similarly framed. Lots of texture in this piece.
Had a really cathartic day reorganizing my studio and magically it feels much more spacious. I celebrated with a figure sketch which I haven’t done in a while. I may explore this pose further when I have a bit more time.
I’m almost done with these two 30 x 40 in. pieces finally. A bit of shadowing and highlighting left. They will hang together for my client who had given me some photo references from her trip to Spain. It took a bit of work to figure out how to render these pieces so they could make a harmonious pair. I have attached the paintings in their current state and the photo references.
Happy to have found an”off-he shelf” 10 x 20 in. frame on sale for this piece on canvas board. Just popped the glass out and it work fine. This one is titled “Pierced”. I’m pondering a companion piece called “Twisted”.
I seem to do this a lot to the point where I think it’s part of my process i.e. declare something done so I can look at it for a while and see what I want to change and then change it. Regardless, I like this version much better.